Monday, March 27, 2006

A thought: I


Man is passing. So are his deeds. We fight for a legacy. But those who might remember us will eventually become null. Legacy is lost. Should remembrance be our purpose? Or should men strive to live as men, work as men, live, and then die, knowing that they have achieved completion at the ultimatum? What should our philosophy be? Not comfort. For comfort is not more than self indulgent fashion, and fashion is petty. Not beautification as the rose has to wilt one day. And not many of us can compare to the candor of a flower. I do not know what the purpose of my existence is. I will not pretend to harbor such knowledge. Although intuition tells me, life is not for a greater purpose but for living with honesty and belief in what is greater than us, creator...and let our actions be the fruit of our years. A woman gives birth. She raises the child- raising the child is her reward. She is content. So should I with my life at this moment. If satisfaction is not harnessed in the present it might never show its face in the future. Go on...as you should...and eventually turn into shadow, stone, dust, fire and return to the elements which make us.

2 comments:

Sergio A. Ortiz Rivera said...

I pray to God and ask for one thing and only on thing... and that is not to live the remainding days of my life alone in this horrid solitud without the love of a mas to care for me, to be my friend my plamate, my muse, my teacher, yet I hear and listen to God return my prayer and he is saying give that one desire up for me/ And I will he will have me but in death not in this life. Oh Raj today I suffer so when it was just yesterday we spoke and there was only a stirring sensation of having talked and made a new friend ... l am lost once again and for what and for who????

Serg

Anonymous said...

I often wonder if man is plotted on the time axis or if 'time' - the crude measurement technik man had created, is imposed on one's life-time? Whatever be the answer, the opening sentiment about legacy and remembrance seem to be true. Are we artiting so that we are remembered? Niet, niet! Are we craving for some kind of 'immortality'? If we are, that would be a foolish thought, I would say. We must die, disappear, and as you said at the end , "eventually turn into" the elements that go into making us, and into making the generations after. If hundreds or thousands of years down the line, someone sits at a window pane, on a starry night, with bouts of depression, and reads the stuff I happened to have penned, and gets rekindled, my writing has achieved its purpose. Not 'remembrance' - can't be! Often, the folk poetry offers the best philisophical thoughts, as I recall the Hindi song with a classical touch - "Naam gum jaayegaa, ceharaa ye badal jaayegaa, merii aawaaz hii pehecaan hai", perhaps a Gulzar poem turned into a song sung by Bhupinder. What more could one say about obliteration of the name...the authorial glory and survival of her or his words? Thanks. UNS