Friday, March 03, 2006


I do not have a title for this post. Let it be unique in being without a name.

Seldom does a face- a voice- a character- a thought amuse me to a degree Amelie has done. I watched her two years ago. Two years ago, I wanted to fall in love. Two years ago a woman (girl) chipped a piece of me and pocketed in her pocket. She might skip it over a canal. I have watched "Amelie" a number of times (more than the digits on both my hands). Yet, from the very first shot she manages to tickle me. And I laugh. I am particularly sensitive around my foot. She does not have to lay a finger on my foot. Her presence is enough. I laugh. I giggle. I am amused. I am saddened. And in the end I go, "only if..."

It has been six years I have been jotting words down on the back of my notebooks, or printing them on a computer screen. In these years, I have not once written words to her. Maybe someday I will. Only the name will be different. Not Amelie. But with a similar spirit.

For Amelie I thank Jean and his cast and crew.

Tomorrow if someone asks me, "Who was your second love?" Can I say, "Amelie" without blushing at my childishness?

1 comment:

prem said...

I think I should see what your love, Amelie , is like. You know a similar thing happened with me when I watched Before Sunrise. I saw it on my computer. At first when i just glanced through the whole movie, just to have a quick look at it, I wasnt impressed by the girl , but when I finished the movie, I was literally in love with her.