Monday, October 03, 2005

A Conversation: Father and Son


Adiratha:

Son, shall I call you so?
For now you know your truth,
That as a charioteer's son,
A great Kshatriya has been raised.


Karna:

"Father" you are Karna's,
Although your blood I have not,
Your love flows in me,
Like the river that carried,
A lost boy to his father's feet.


Adiratha:

Karna, then will you not heed,
Your mother's fear, for your life,
Is all my wife has left in hand,
And such a battle might steal,
Her child away from her,
And leave her maternal cradle empty.


Karna:

Father you ask me do the impossible,
A charioteer must ride into death,
Witout praise or glory, he doesn't,
Leave his master's side, and I, I,
Karna son of a Charioteer, a man,
Of much misfortune have been,
Given the love of a mighty warrior,
Should I leave Duryodhana's camp,
When the man needs me most- would you?


Adiratha:

Nay!


Karna:

Why do you smile so, father?


Adiratha:

Witness the crimson sky- your heavenly father,
In the heaven arises, he rides fire horses,
Across the span of this entire Earth,
I smile at my fortune- to raise,
His blood as my own- a lowly charioteer,
Has become a proud father today,
For under my teaching you have,
Not become base like the rest...


Karna:

Father to your might I bow my head.


Adiratha:

Karna- you know your end do you?


Karna:

Yes...my death is certain, let that,
Not be told to my friends resting,
Let them enjoy music and wine tonight,
For tomorrow much sorrow must they face,
Let the brave men leave this earth,
Without fear, and filled with mirth,
To meet their foe in battle.


Adiratha:

And Lord Krishna told you of your demise?


Karna:

The Lord is graceful- and did not hurt me,
With such a bitter truth, his tone was kind,
A delicate note of mirth and sorrow-
No, Lord Krishna does not need tell me,
I know for that must be my end-
The Lord drives the chariot of the victorious,
For the victory of the Pandavas,
Kunti's first born must lay down his body,
But father, fear not, for this body,
Is not much more than a vessel of deed,
I shall have fulfilled my dharma at battle,
And ride unto heaven beside the sun-


Adiratha:

And how do you know of Krishna's divinity?


Karna:

Father, don't you realize God's game-


Karna:

Only three humans knew of my truth,
You, Mother Radha, and Mother Kunti,
Not even I! But another stepped forward,
To tell me my birth father's and mother's name-
Only God could have known that,
And Krishna only adviced me, never did,
The Lord spread his palms before me,
And ask for the life of his "partha",
For he knows my end- he is the author,
Of my fate- and it shall be as he desires,
Karna shall be vanquished at battle,
And Arjuna shall be crowned the winner,
Kunti who had five sons will have them all,
But you, two humans who have natural son,
Shall have to give me away...to the wishes,
Of Lord Krishna, the Lord who governs,
And gave me to you in the first place-


Adiratha:

Cruel this world has been on you!
Like snakes has fate hissed and struck,
You time and again- why? Why must my son,
Be treated in such ill a manner?


Karna:

O Adhiratha!
Your son is Karna-
Fate hisses at him-
For it must keep him from victory.
But remember, your son,
Shall be the only son of Kunti,
Who shall find the grace of God,
Without questioning...the others,
Have sinned in vanity, and lived,
In that empty heat without realization,
But Karna has learnt his little stature,
Despite mastering the art of war.


Adiratha:

Your father shines bright with pride!


Karna:

Yes father, your face shines,
Like the very sun in the sky.

1 comment:

Sim said...

Hey this conversation is fantastic! Dod you compose this or was this taken from an excerpt? It moved me to tears